The ultimate spread for your home pizza creations.
This fresh tomato pizza sauce is so simple to make and fills your kitchen with a heavenly aroma. Make this in batches as it keeps for a week in the fridge. You can freeze bags of it when tomatoes are in season and use it over the winter months for pizza sauce or as a simple base for pasta sauce.
Fresh Tomato Pizza Sauce
- 2 Tb olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Kg fresh ripe tomatoes
- 1 tsp honey
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil, thyme, oregano or marjoram (or a mixture)
- Peel your fresh tomatoes by scoring them on the base and plunging them into boiling water for 1 minute. Allow to cool before peeling them. Use as you would tinned tomatoes for any recipe.
- Heat oil in a frypan and add the onion. Cook gently to soften but don’t colour them.
- Add the garlic and cook gently with the onion for an extra minute.
- Add the fresh tomatoes, honey and salt and pepper. Cook at a simmer for 30 minutes. The aroma will be amazing.
- In the last 5 minutes add in your freshly chopped herbs to infuse.
- You can simmer for longer to achieve depth of flavour.
- You can add dried herbs instead of fresh but add them to the recipe with your onion
- You can puree the sauce after cooking (and cooling a little) to create a smooth paste.
- Top your pizza with the sauce and a little mozzarella, ricotta, feta or other favourite pizza cheese. As it comes out of the oven dust with freshly grated parmesan and fresh basil leaves.