Our cherry tomato pasta bake has a creamy ricotta layer which adds a touch of lusciousness to this otherwise super simple family favourite.
Cherry Tomato Pasta Bake
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 800g cherry tomatoes
- 350g Penne Rigate #20 (or similar)
- 250g ricotta
- 150ml cream
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- handful of basil, leaves picked and torn
- 60g parmesan cheese
- Follow the instructions for cooking the pasta. Cook to just al dente (usually the lower end of the cooking scale on the packet). Then drain and set aside.
- Meantime, heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based frypan over medium heat and fry the garlic for 1 minute until sizzling but not coloured. Add the cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook for 20 mins, stirring occasionally.
- In a bowl combine the ricotta, cream, and nutmeg then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Combine the cherry tomato sauce with the cooked pasta. Tip half the pasta mixture into the base of a medium ovenproof dish, then pour over half the ricotta mixture. Scoop the rest of the pasta mixture on top, then pour over the rest of the ricotta cream.
- Sprinkle with basil and grated parmesan.
- Heat an oven grill to high. Slide the dish under the grill. Keep an eye on it – you want it to bubble and turn golden (but not to burn!)