Bruschetta is the classic, simple Italian starter which draws your focus to the super ripe chopped tomato bursting with flavour.
- 1 baguette
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil (or more if needed)
- 1-2 garlic clove or 2 drops garlic extract
- 8 ripe NZ cocktail tomatoes
- Sea Salt
- Fresh Basil
- Slice the baguette slightly on a diagonal to create slices about 5cm thick.
- Crush the garlic clove and add to the olive oil or add two drops of garlic extract to the oil.
- Use a pastry brush to brush both sides of the baguette slices with the oil.
- Set the grill on high and place the toasts onto an oven tray in a single layer. Slide in under the grill. Check after 2 minutes and if lightly toasted, turn them over and grill on the other side. Do not leave for too long or they will burn.
- Remove the toasts from the grill and set aside to cool.
- Remove the core from the cocktail tomatoes and dice with a tomato knife.
- Dust liberally with sea salt.
- Use two teaspoons to top each toast with the diced tomato. Add a garnish of fresh basil leaves.
- Drizzle with your favourite olive oil to serve (optional)
- Toasts can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container for several days.
- Prepare tomato and basil and keep in the fridge – only for a couple of hours in advance.
- Don’t top the toasts with tomato until you are ready to serve or they will go soggy.
- If you plan on guests not eating over a sink, then provide plenty of napkins.
- Add freshly grated Parmigiana for an extra salty kick.