A tomato dish scattered with bacon gremolata as inspired by Nigel Slater from his cookbook Eat. We have created a recipe from his alternate ideas to courgettes and we think you will love it. Get your summer groove on with our tomatoes with crispy bacon and breadcrumbs. Serve alone or as a side to your favourite BBQ grilled meat.
Tomatoes with Bacon and breadcrumbs
- knob of butter
- 12 rashers of bacon
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- extra butter
- zest of a lemon
- fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- your favourite tomatoes
- olive oil
- fresh basil leaves, lightly chopped
- Heat a frypan on medium heat and add the knob of butter.
- Cut bacon into thick pieces and fry in the butter until lightly crisped.
- Remove the needles from the sprigs of rosemary and finely chop them. Add to the pan.
- Add the clove of garlic and cook for a couple of minutes until you can smell the lovely aroma.
- Toss in the breadcrumbs. Add extra butter as needed so that the breadcrumbs turn golden.
- Add the zest of lemon and a handful of fresh parsley. Transfer to a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Clean the frypan.
- Slice the tomatoes in half lengthwise if large or cocktail size; or use cherry tomatoes whole.
- Heat the pan and drizzle in some olive oil.
- Add the tomatoes, cooking them until they just start to wilt in the pan.
- Scatter with the gremolata and top with the fresh basil leaves. Let the heat amalgamate the flavours.